Please note: See our COVID-19 information page for special circumstances regarding booking during global pandemic. Kindly contact us with any additional questions or concerns.
Bookings must be confirmed by Wild Root Safaris and Adventures.
Bookings shall be considered confirmed only when the booking is accompanied by a deposit valued at 20% of the tour price. The remaining 80% is due four weeks before arrival.
Please see the payment section below to see what types of currency we accept.
CANCELLATIONS, DATE CHANGES AND REFUNDS
We request that any cancellation of a reservation be in writing, either by e-mail or fax and shall only be effective upon its receipt and acknowledgment.
If you need to postpone your trip, please get in contact as soon as possible and we will work on accommodating your new travel dates at no additional cost. Should you need to cancel your trip and have already paid your balance in full, we will fully refund your prepaid balance if you cancel prior to 30 days before departure. Otherwise, fees will be assessed according to the below terms:
3 weeks prior to the trip – 10% fees charges apply
2 weeks prior to the trip – 20% fees charges apply
1 week prior to the trip – 30% fees charges apply
Non-residents of Tanzania are required by law to pay in foreign convertible currencies. Payment for any extraneous details may be done in traveler’s cheques or cash. We accept online payment (VISA/ MASTER/ AMERICAN EXPRESS).
We cannot be held responsible for road and airstrip conditions, which may make travel impossible at times. Any changes to the initial itinerary are subject to conditions, despite any access matters or weather conditions.
The company and its owner, director, management staff and employees shall not be held responsible for any injury or death to persons on tour, nor for loss or damage to personal property, however, they may be caused.
The company draws your attention to the fact that there are certain inherent risks present when on Safari, or when engaging in any strenuous physical activity.
It is your sole responsibility to obtain appropriate medical advice as to medication, immunization, and whether or not you are fit enough to undertake the trip, prior to departure. The company shall not be liable for illness, injury or death sustained whilst visiting the properties owned and managed by the company.
“Force Majeure ” means, in relation to the company, any circumstances beyond the control of the company (including and without limitation, acts of God, explosions, floods, tempests, fires, accidents, war or threat of war, sabotage, insurrection, civil disturbance or requisition, sickness, quarantine, government intervention, weather conditions or other outwards occurrences).
If the company is affected by force majeure it shall forthwith notify you of the nature and extent thereof.
The company shall not be deemed to be in breach of these items and conditions or otherwise be liable to you, by reason of delay in performance, or by non-performance, of any of its obligations hereunder to the extent that any such delay or non-performance is due to any force majeure.
If the company is affected by force majeure it shall be entitled to, and may at its sole and absolute discretion, vary or cancel any reservations or cancel any reservation or arrangement in relation to the visits. Payment of any refund by the company to you as result of the non-performance of any company shall use its reasonable endeavors to reimburse you where possible. However, the company shall be entitled to deduct from any refund recoverable to the reasonable actual and potential costs to the company of the force majeure.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
These are the Terms & Conditions governing the relationship between the company and you, to the total exclusion of any other Terms & Conditions. No alterations to the terms and condition may be made by any of the company’s employees, authorized representative or agents, unless in writing by an authorized officer of the company. All decisions and matters subject to the company’s discretion shall be by an authorized officer of the company. The Company reserves the right to employ subcontractors for all or part of the services.
If you have any cause of complaints while traveling, you must immediately bring it to the attention of the company’s representative or agent who will attempt to resolve the situation.
The payment of the deposit or any other partial payment for a reservation constitutes consent to all provisions of the Terms & Conditions. The Terms under which you agree to make the reservation cannot be changed or amended unless this is done in writing and signed by an authorized staff of the company.
Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding these Terms & Conditions.