5 Day Ngorongoro Highlands Trekking Tour
This 5-day trekking tour takes you through the diverse landscapes of the Ngorongoro Crater Highlands. You will hike through grassy plains and the mountainous countryside as well as thick mountain forest and the savannah landscape of the Rift Valley. Apart from unique landscapes and seeing wild animals, this trek allows insight into the daily routine of the Masai people.
Day 1 Arusha – Olmoti Crater – Nainokanoka: In the morning you will be picked up from your hotel and you will travel on a good tar road to the village of Mto wa Mbu with the escarpment of the Great Rift Valley towering up ahead. From a viewpoint above the town you will see the Masai plains stretch to the horizon with the alkaline Lake Manyara down below. A short drive further and you will reach the gate of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area. The journey continues along the scenic crater road, to the Masai village of Nainokanoka. While the camp is being set up, you will hike to the rim of the Olmoti Crater during the afternoon. There is also a possibility to visit a small waterfall along the way. Dinner will be served at the camp. Depending on the time of year, it might be cold (the camp is at an altitude of 2,650 m). Lunch; Dinner
Day 2 Nainokanoka – Bulati:
In the early morning a Masai guide will arrive with his donkeys. After breakfast and loading the donkeys, the journey begins and you will pass many traditional Masai bomas and cattle herds. Soon, you might also see wild animals such as Thompson and Grant’s gazelles, zebras and wildebeests with hungry jackals not far behind and majestic eagles observing the situation. After approximately 16 km of hiking you will reach a campsite not far from the Masai village Bulati.
Breakfast; Lunch; Dinner
Day 3 Bulati – Empakai:
After breakfast, the journey goes up a hill from where you have a last panoramic view of the grass plains below. The trek continues up and down through the bushy landscape which finally opens up to the active volcano, Oldonyo Lengai. The trek gives you great views of the majestic volcano as well as into the impressive Empakai Crater before reaching the campsite for the night. You can explore the crater and on a well-maintained path you descend to Lake Empakai inside the crater. This alkaline soda lake is an important food source for flamingos, which can be seen throughout the year. Returning to camp supper will be waiting for you. During the night you might hear the flamingos call as they fly back to their breeding nests at Lake Manyara and Lake Natron. Breakfast; Lunch; Dinner
Day 4 Empakai Crater – Acacia Camp:
Today you will hike to the Masai village Naiyobi and follow a good path, the village as well as Oldonyo Lengai, an active volcano, can be seen from a distance. After lunch in Naiyobi, the trek leaves the Ngorongoro Conservation Area and the landscape becomes drier and warmer. Tonight’s camp will be set up at amongst an acacia forest. Breakfast; Lunch; Dinner
Day 5 Acacia Camp – Engare Sero – Arusha
The last stage of the journey is not too long and it goes mainly downhill. The highlights of the trek are the great views of Oldonyo Lengai, Lake Natron, and the Rift Valley. The rugged countryside looks almost surreal covered by the grey ash of the last eruption in 2007. The trek descends down into the dry and hot Rift Valley, where the ash can be seen up close. Around lunchtime, you will reach the waiting vehicle and your driver will take you back to Arusha.
• 2 Nights, twin-shared, hikers class accommodation in the lodges, with bed and breakfast (dinner can be arranged on request and at additional cost)
• Transfer from your hotel to starting point for your climb, and return to your hotel after your climb
• All National Park gate fees
• All camping fees
• Rescue fees (Kilimanjaro rescue team fees)
• Qualified mountain guide, assistant guides, porters and cooks
• Salaries for mountain crew as per guidelines set by KINAPA
• Breakfast, lunch and dinner on the mountain
• Hot drinks on the mountain
• Camping equipment (tents, camp chairs & sleeping mat) (Not applicable on the Marangu route as all meals is served at the camps in designated mess halls)
• Climbing permit
• Portable oxygen (use in case of emergence)
• Walkie talkie (Communication during the trek)
• Optional return airport transfers between Kilimanjaro International Airport to the lodge
• Items of a personal nature
• Compulsory tips for guides, porters and cook (average tip is anything from US$ 150 to US$ 200 per hiker – depending on number of days / how many hikers in the group and route chosen)
• Entry visa for Tanzania (US$50 per passport holder for most nationalities / US $ 100 per visa for USA passport holders)
• Health requirements (Yellow Fever – compulsory depending on how you travel to Tanzania, Meningitis & Hepatitis A optional but recommended)
• Optional travel insurance
• Personal hiking/trekking gear
• Airfares and departure taxes
• Optional but highly recommended Portable toilet (Portable toilet not allowed on the Marangu route)
• Snacks, personal medicine and water purifying tablets
• Meals & drinks not specified and snacks
• Optional Emergency Portable oxygen to be used in emergencies only, not as summiting aid.
As for VIP packages no more info as you can just write Specification for VIP trekkers and link it as you link before.
We have been organizing holidays and safaris since 2005 and have unrivaled knowledge and experience of our destinations. We have been organizing holidays and safaris since 2005 and have unrivaled knowledge and experience of our destinations.